Thursday, June 26, 2008

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

I had bought P.S. I Love You with a collection of other chick lit novels on Ebay before the movie had come out yet. So I figured I would just read the book first for once and see what I thought of the movie after. Now that I've done that, I have to say I really enjoyed the book so much more. The two were vastly different and many things were left out of the movie, but I guess with 512 pages, there's a lot of story you have to cut. I just didn't expect them to change SO MUCH of it. Like Holly's sister as a character in the book, is so much more developed and I had really liked her.

Though its a very touching and emotional story, almost to the point where it freaks me out a little bit (I mean what young married woman wants to imagine her husband dying!), I still couldn't put the book down to see what the next letter he wrote to her said. It was just so romantic and beautiful. But the grieving process that Holly goes through isn't altogether too realistic in my opinion. I mean packing up her husband's things only months after he's passed - no way could I do that! At least the book portrays the grief as more of a struggle and process than I felt the movie did, which was good.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. Though maybe read it after you've seen the movie, so you have a basis to start from and maybe won't be as disappointed in the movie as I was. And for being Cecilia Ahern's first novel, I thought the concept was great. I look forward to checking out some of her other novels, for I'm sure she'll only grow as an author.


Rating: ****


Recommend: Definitely.

No comments: