Monday, April 12, 2010

Book Club Pick

This next month's book club pick is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I was wondering if any of you folks had read it yet and what you thought of it??

Description: A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue.

It's about the disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden . . . and about her octogenarian uncle, determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder.

It's about Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently at the wrong end of a libel case, hired to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance . . . and about Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old pierced and tattooed genius hacker possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness to go with it--who assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, astonishing corruption in the highest echelons of Swedish industrialism--and an unexpected connection between themselves.

It's a contagiously exciting, stunningly intelligent novel about society at its most hidden, and about the intimate lives of a brilliantly realized cast of characters, all of them forced to face the darker aspects of their world and of their own lives.


It sounds fascinating don't you think? I trust your opinions first and foremost, so go ahead and fill me in - any thoughts?

3 comments:

Emily said...

I started it awhile back and had a really hard time getting into it. The beginning is a little slow. But I've heard it really picks up, so I may try and pick it back up again soon. My mom really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

My mystery book group read it last summer. Everyone liked it. I do think that it takes a while to set everything up, but then it really takes off and I couldn't put it down. I've read the two books that follow it as well. It's a little graphic, but I didn't really get many complaints from group members about that. I've just heard other people speak about it since. It's a shame that the author died so young and there will not be any more books by him.

Lisa said...

I haven't read it yet but I know it has a lot of fans. Likewise there seem to be a lot of people that have a lot of time with the way women are treated in the book. Should be lots to discuss!