Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Fever by Megan Abbott

The best word that captures the essence of this book in my opinion is "Eerie".

As a matter of fact when you look the word "Eerie" up, its defined as:

1. Inspiring inexplicable fear, dread or uneasiness; strange or frightening.
2. Suggestive of the supernatural; mysterious.

I mean if you've read this - you know those 2 definitions pretty much sums this novel up.  I couldn't figure out if it was going to turn creepy sci-fi on me or dark and twisty like the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Did you see that movie?  It totally creeped me out much like The Fever did.

I thought it was well told and for sure kept me guessing till the very end.  It was so intense but I also was a bit unsettled by the description of the some of the more intimate scenes.

Overall, a wonderful surprising suspense story filled with twists & turns you won't see coming!

Thank you so much NetGalley and Little, Brown & Company for the opportunity to read and review an advance ebook of The Fever by Megan Abbott.  I seriously am so grateful and blessed to have this opportunity and love every single minute (or page rather!) that I get to enjoy!  If you're interested in pre-ordering your copy of The Fever before it releases on June 17, go here.

Description: "The Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hockey star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community.

As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security.

A chilling story about guilt, family secrets and the lethal power of desire,The Fever affirms Megan Abbot's reputation as "one of the most exciting and original voices of her generation" (Laura Lippman)"

Rating: ****

Recommend: I would say yes - but really only for mature audiences.  If I had a teenager, I think it would be a bit too much.

No comments: