Monday, July 28, 2014

Virgin by Radhika Sanghani

So.  Uh-hum.  This is one of those books that somehow knows about all the private conversations you've ever had with your closest girlfriends regarding the questions or mysteries involving sex. It was so blatant at times that I was blushing in the privacy of my own room - but so freakin hilarious at other times because I swear we've all wondered the same things or identified with some of the same issues that the main character faces. Well, okay, or maybe it was just me.

I was 26 years old when I married my husband - and yes, I was a virgin, in every sense of the word.  There's not many of us out there that decide to wait, and being as how I was raised in a religious background where sex was NEVER discussed, there was a whole lotta stuff I had NO CLUE about until after I got married.

Though the main character, Ellie is on an outright mission to lose her virginity at the age of 21, I felt that the way this story resolved itself and the lesson she learned at the end of it all was actually quite poignant.  I do not regret one bit saving myself sexually for my husband - there is a HUGE amount of pressure on teens and young adults to be sexually active and unfortunately our culture is so obsessed with sex that it can often easily define us.  I laughed, I winced, I squirmed - I did all the things that I have done with my best girlfriends discussing these very things.  Freakin hilarious book - but definitely not for everybody. Lol, but then again, maybe it should be.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Group for the opportunity to read this advance copy to give an honest review.  All opinions are my own.  If you dare, pre-order your copy here!

Description: Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?

Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?

I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.

Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.

Rating:  ***

Recommend:  This is a tough one - if you're interested in picking it up, you cannot go into it hoping you don't get offended.  It's crass, funny, detailed, crude and ridiculously laugh-out-loud funny.

No comments: